Saturday, August 21, 2010

Mook of the Week

I have to apologize for this Mook of the Week. I didn't have my camera with me but the mook in question is VERY deserving.

Today I ran into what would be considered a very common mook in South Korea. I am still surprised that it took me over 3 months before running into one here.

I had to go to the grocery store to get some stuff. As I turn down an aisle I find it blocked. Some stupid mook (ok that is redundant) is standing with his cart blocking one side of the aisle while his body blocks the other. Why did he stop? He was on his cell phone.

Of course it would have been too much for him to just block one side of the aisle while he was standing there. That would have taken an awareness that there are other people in the world who have the right to use the aisle.

As I approached he kept yammering on the phone. Dunno who he was talking to but the oh so important conversation was about someone at his workplace who is an inconsiderate asshole. How do I know? He was talking quite loudly. Yes, it did feel like I was back in South Korea except for one important factor. We all spoke English. :)

When I got up to him I said "Excuse me."

Now in polite society MOST people would have been embarrassed as they realized they were blocking the aisle. Most people would have at least moved out of the way if not adding a "Sorry."

So I got a little closer and said "Hey, you must be the owner of this store. I have a question?"

He got a strange look on his face and said "No I'm not, why would you think I am?"

I snarled "Because you are standing around blocking the aisle as if it were your fucking home."

At THAT point he got flustered and moved out of the way.

It was so nice to be able to deal with a mook like that in English. :)

2 comments:

  1. I've just returned to Canada from Korea, and my mook encounters are waaayyyyy down. But they did make up for it on my trip. I guess they were trying to get their last licks in? I lost count of the mooks at the airport milling around aimlessly, pushing their carts into mine, crashing into each other, and generally making going from point A to point B like Han Solo navigating the asteroid field.
    The best mook encounter (best? well, the funniest) was two women on the plane, checking their tickets to make sure they had the right seats. They stood blocking the aisle for about a minute before they decided they were in the right place. Then BOTH of them tried to go into the seat at the same time, knocking each backwards almost onto their asses.
    BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha!!! It is always good when the mooks provided entertainment instead of just aggravation. :)

    ReplyDelete