Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Billy Connolly - Journey to the Edge of the World

"I smoke cigars. I'm happy to smoke cigars. I don't give one shit what you think about me smoking cigars. It's none of your fucking business. It's like brown shoes. I don't give a shit.

But if I smoke cigars there is suddenly no place in the world indoors that I can do it now. because of THEM. THEY, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that i am not to do it. Even though I am prepared to pay to do it.

For instance the last time I was in Vancouver my favourite smoke shop legally had to close down. They will not allow us to smoke cigarettes or cigars in this place. They stopped it. And in the same week they opened a place where you can go and fix fucking heroin!

So my attitude was what's next? A special lane for fucking drunk drivers? I can't wait until there is a health warning on a cheesecake box. Fat bastards." - Billy connolly

Yes, it is true and not hyperbole. You can go get a free heroin fix in Vancouver but you can't smoke a cigar IN a cigar shop. A group called SALOME set up a new spot just in time for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. But you can't smoke a cigar IN a cigar shop. What the hell?!?!?

I remember when they changed the smoking laws in Nova Scotia on December 1 2006. At that time there was no smoking indoors anywhere anymore. It really fucked up a lot of bars and coffee shops. not to mention the cigar shops. A lot of these places had just invested tens of thousands of dollars to install smoking rooms with exhaust fans so they would be up to code. That way those who wanted to smoke could without bothering those who didn't. (What the hell someone who doesn't like to smoke would be doing in a smoke shop is beyond me though.) All that money spent and within a year or so the government changed the rules again, your smoking rooms are not allowed, and you out tens of thousands of dollars.

I don't smoke cigarettes, but I do like a good cigar from time to time. I don't care if others want to smoke. If I didn't want to be around smoke I would go to places that I wouldn't find it. It isn't rocket science. People who smoke have just as much a right to mingle as those who don't. It is easy to accommodate both sides ... but the smoke Nazis don't believe in compromise and they seem to have a lobby on par with the NRA.

Free heroin and a place to shoot up for addicts ... but god forbid you have a place to smoke a cigar. Fucktards!

No comments:

Post a Comment