Sunday, May 15, 2011

What the ... I was right?!?!?!

I was going to Sobey's the other day and heard my name shouted. Naturally, I stopped and looked in the direction of the shout. Now the entrance to Sobey's is pretty big, there is lots of walking room. I was about 6 inches or less from a wall to my right. To my left there was about 3-4 feet of empty sidewalk space. Can you guess what happened?

Yeah, you probably guessed right, some mook decided he would go through the smallest available space. Now when I stopped he wasn't right behind me. It was a good 5 seconds after I stopped before he did this. (Turns out I wasn't being called, another "Flint" was. Took a few seconds to sort out. Too bad, the one who shouted my name was HOT.)

I haven't had this happen too often in Canada. In fact I can't even remember the last time it happened here. In South Korea this was close to a daily occurrence. It wouldn't be unusual for it to happen a few times a day. So, what do I do in reflex? Before even looking at him I tell the guy he is a stupid idiot in Korean.

Surprise surprise ... he says "How did you know I was Korean!"

All I could think of to say was "Because only a Korean would be stupid enough to do what you just did. Lots of space on this side. Almost no space here. So you just try and walk through me."

He had no reply and just shambled off into Sobey's.

Sadly, if you are a Korean or Koreanphile, even after being out of South Korea a year when faced with certain kinds of rude behaviour it is easy to assume the person doing it is Korean without even looking at them. Kind of like when I was in China and some mook was shouting "Hello Hello" out a van window. I assumed he was Korean and I was right.


No comments:

Post a Comment