Thursday, June 23, 2011

Being Sick

The Chinese have a saying that goes something like this;

In order to truly appreciate being healthy you must be sick.

Or to quote Anthony Bourdain;

"Only when you have been through a really bad time, do you really know what good is."

Regardless of which one you like it is so true. I was sick the last couple of days. Not sniffly sick but vomiting and hershey squirts sick. Strangely enough, had some of my best sleep in a while, and some freaky dreams. Feeling like your guts are going to explode into your lap makes you cherish the times you don't feel that way.

This is my 1st time really sick since coming back from South Korea. I used to get sinus infections on a regular basis there. The ENT doctor I went to blamed it on the air pollution and yellow dust. I used to get cellulitis annually in my legs. The doctor I went to for it said it was common in SoKo. Since coming home I haven't had any major health problems until now.

It would be easy to blame it all on Korea but that wouldn't be honest. A part of the blame has to go to me for the unhealthy lifestyle I led. I didn't look after my health properly most of the time. By the time I started to, well, it was a long road back. While I am sure the pollution had an impact on my health it wasn't the only factor.

Since coming home I finished making the changes in my lifestyle I started my last year in SoKo. They have paid off a lot. A lot of it was due to my dog, may he rest in peace. If he didn't get walked 3-4 times a day he wouldn't let you rest.

Anyway, I am starting to digress again. Being sick really does help you appreciate being healthy.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the well wishes Anonymous. I am all better now. :)

    ReplyDelete