Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Don't you hate it when ...

Don't you hate it when people take Virtual reality, be it YouTube, Facebook, or anything else, too seriously and it starts messing up their "real life" (RL)? Some people get obsessed with virtual reality (VR) and the "friends" they make there.

Recently a guy I know has had a "friendship" ended because the guy had an infantile meltdown. This friend then started broadcasting personal stuff he was told (about the guy I know) that he was told in confidence all over the net. The cause of the meltdown, he commented that he didn't like a video the twat made. He didn't slag it or swear. A simple post saying "I don't like this video." and then the BS began. Some people just can handle criticism of any sort which makes you wonder why they put themselves out there on the net.

The BS reminded me of an ex-friend, let's call him Jimmy. We had been RL friends for about 17+ years. Due to the way life works we lost contact for a while but were actually in Korea working at the same time, reconnected, and renewed the friendship.

Jimmy was obsessed with YouTube. He was always making videos. They ranged from vlogging to comedy skits. I have to admit that I got into it a little, doing a few skits with him, and doing a lot of vlogging. Mind you vlogging is no different than blogging. It became more of an obsession with Jimmy.

He was (maybe still si I don't know) married. I always felt a little sorry for his wife because he would actually ignore her to "work on YouTube". (I always found that strange. I never ignore the internet mroe than when I am in a relationship.) When I would go and visit I spent more time hanging out with her than him because he was "working" on videos. When they came to visit me she enjoyed it because she had someone to talk to and do things with. He would be ... wait for it ... wait for it ... working on videos part of the time. She was always telling him how much fun I was and how she liked it when we hung out.

What ended the friendship? I am not sure. Supposedly because I made a joke at his expense. He had said good afternoon in a video when it was morning. I replied later in the day with a joke saying it was now afternoon. According to him that made him look like an idiot to his Youtube friends and on the internet. If that is how I really think of him I am a fucking asshole. And he then removed me as a Facebook friend and banned me from commenting on his Youtube site.

Was that the REAL reason? I don't know. He never said anything else. It seems like kind of a childish over reaction. If I was to speculate I could see where it may have because his wife enjoyed hanging out with me more than him. But I am not going to speculate, I will take it at face value. He had a childish meltdown. Which makes his actions even more fucktardic than if it involved jealousy.

Being Jimmy I know that the odds of ever hearing from him again, unless he REALLY needs something, are slim to none, and slim just left town. Even if he decides he was wrong he isn't the type that will apologise or try to reconnect. I say, so be it. If that is what he is really like no big loss.





No comments:

Post a Comment