Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What the ... Buddha?!?!?!

I noticed something kind of strange a minute ago. For a person who claims no religion as his own and who was raised United Church ... I have a lot of Buddha's in my living room.

There are five different little Buddha statues on my window sill. Three were gifts and two I bought. There are no Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or any other religious objects in my apartment. Nor am I a follower of Buddhism. It just struck me as strange.

I was always kind of partial to Buddha's image. It reminds me of me, big belly and all. In fact, my first year I was nicknamed CIA's Buddha. The police we taught, and who worked near my apartment, called me that.

One day a friend was driving and pulled a u-turn where he shouldn't have. A cop waved him over. They nattered in Korean when the cop looked at me and said "Oh CIA Buddha!". He let my friend off with a warning.

It is funny the things we think of and what triggers them.

2 comments:

  1. One of my co-workers noticed my resemblance to Buddha, as well, and started rubbing my belly. She was hoping to have a child in the near future. I told her she would have to rub something else for that.

    ReplyDelete