Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Big Reds Family Restaurant in Lunenburg

I have been showing one of my brothers around the province a bit. (He is visiting from Ontario.) Today I drove us to Lunenburg for a day trip. It is a beautiful and very historic city. We had a great time until we went to Big Reds for lunch.

The menu was a bit pricey but I expected that. It is in a tourist area. $36 or so for 2 bacon cheeseburgers with fries and pop. (And some people complain about the price of the burgers at Cheese Curds Burgers?!?!?) We were hungry so I didn't give a damn about the price. I expected something good though. 

Oh, I did find it a little funny that you had to order and pay for everything inside in advance. Then they would bring it to your table. That should have been a warning. A BIG RED warning. 

After we had ordered, paid, and been waiting on the patio in the heat of the day for about 15 or more minutes the waiter brought our drinks. (Oh, the only other customers left about 10 minutes after we sat down. So it isn't like the place was busy.) The waiter tells us that he will be back in a couple of minutes with our food. 

It was over 10 minutes later that he returned with our food. 25+ minutes to get 2 fucking cheeseburgers? For that long a wait they had best be the best fucking burger I have ever eaten. They weren't. While they weren't bad at best they were fair. For $36+ and a 25+ minute wait that just doesn't work for me. 

The waiter never came out to see how we were doing. When I went in to use the bathroom he was no where to be found. I had planned on letting him know what I thought of the service. Maybe he sensed that and hid. 

I left a tip to reflect what I thought of the quality of the food and service at Big Reds. A penny.

I will be back to Lunenburg. My family is big and relatives visit a lot in the summer. I will be taking them to Lunenburg from time to time. I will NEVER take them to Big Reds. 

If you go to Lunenburg and are looking for food I would advise you to go anywhere but big Reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment