Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Facebook on my smart phone.

While I owned a cell phone when I lived in South Korea I had never owned one in Canada. That is until last fall. I got one, an LG Phoenix, because I wanted work to be able to get a hold of me whenever they need me for extra shifts. What can I say, I like all the money I can get. :)

A month or so after getting it I made the mistake of hooking up Facebook on it. Why was that a mistake you ask? There are a couple of reasons.

First, the spam. For some insane reason whenever someone likes, comments on, posts on, links to, or does anything else that involves my Facebook account I get TWO, not one but TWO, messages sent to my smart phone. They don't clear until you load each of them separately. It is a huge pain in the ass. I don't use Facebook all that much to begin with and shit like this makes me want to use it even less.

Secondly, when someone would send a request, like a friend request, and I view it on my phone it would not show up the next time I logged on Facebook. Which makes me shake my head in amazement because the stuff that appeared in my first reason would STILL be visible the next time I went on Facebook. Considering how hectic life can get I would see a request on the smart phone and decide to look at it more in depth when I got home. when I got home it would slip my mind and logging onto Facebook there would be no highlighted request because I had viewed it on my phone.

All in all it wasn't worth having Facebook on my phone. So I removed it today and it will not be missed. Of course, removing it from your phone isn't enough. You must go into Facebook's settings and remove it from there too.

I do expect some form of stupidity to continue due to Android. I don't have twitter nor do I want it. Yet every time there is an update android tries forcing me to install twitter. I expect this stupidity to happen with Facebook now.

And it already started. Since initially writing this around noon on July 3rd I shut my phone off. When I turned it on Android was once again urging me to update twitter and facebook. Since they aren't installed it wouldn't REALLY be updating them now would it?

2 comments:

  1. Thanx for the warning. If I ever get one of those phones, I know what to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I hadn't wasted the time installing the app.

    ReplyDelete