Thursday, December 19, 2013

Corruption or Incompetency?

Wrote this one a while ago but never posted it. Oops.

The headlines blared:

Revenue Canada corruption feared over $400K cheque to Nicolo Rizzuto.

It turns out that the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) gave a rebate  check of $400,000 to the mob boss even though he owes them $1.5 Million. After the media dug this nugget up the fit hit the shan. All of a sudden there are fears of CRA corruption allowing for the payment. An investigation is being done and will be completed by the end of the year (3 months away).

This story reminded me of one of my favourite sayings "Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity" but bastardized.

"Never attribute to corruption that which can be adequately explained by incompetency."

Based on my experience with CRA I can easily believe this happened because of bureaucratic bullshit and incompetency. As mentioned on another blog I have had my own problems with CRA since August. Even though I have filed tax returns since I returned in 2010, which should have changed my status from non-resident Citizen to resident Citizen, the branch of CRA that deals with expat Canadians WAS NOT TOLD. I had to contact them.

It has taken them a month to get back to me. Just to tell me that things are being reviewed and they will advise me of what they decide. Why it couldn't have been reviewed in a month I don't know.

Did Flint return to live in Canada in 2010? Yes.

Did he file taxes in Canada in 2011? Yes..

What about 2012? Yes.

2013 too? Yes.

Was he living in Canada and working at the time he set up the Tax Free Savings Account in 2012? Yes.

Paying taxes? Yes.

Does he owe us money for the TFSA? No.

What the fuck else is there to check? This couldn't have been determined in a MONTH by simply looking at my files at CRA?

So, while the mob boss getting the $400,000 could be due to corruption I think it is more likely a case of bureaucratic incompetency. How the hell they think they can investigate and resolve that in 3 months if they couldn't solve my problem in 1 month is beyond me.


No comments:

Post a Comment