Thursday, May 26, 2016

"Snopesing" things.

I almost didn't make my post about the quote some morons wrongly attribute to Wilfred Laurier. While Snopes is a great tool I find that a lot of the people using it can come off as tools.

There is a segment of the population that seems to get off on proving people wrong. They will use Snopes on just about anything people post prove them wrong. In some cases it is deserved, in others maybe not so much.

I have had it done to me. What made it even more pathetic is that it was the ONLY thing the person had commented on (on my Facebook page) in over 5 years. That is kind of pathetic in and of itself and served to let me know it was time to prune the "friendship" tree.

Kind of like the Facebook friend who got all huffy and had to answer a meme I shared about money being the root of all evil. He started off sanely enough, trying to claim it wasn't in the bible. Then, when called on it by another friend of mine (let's call him Hatamoto), went to troll level insanity pretty quickly. He tried parsing words by saying it was not said exactly that way. Then lit into how much of a danger Hatamoto must be to others. Nonsense like that. Hatamoto handled it well and pretty much trolled the troll until he gave up. It was great to read. :)

But I digress.

It is kind of like only tearing someone apart for their grammar or spelling. I have done it in the past, odds are I will do it again in the future, but when I do it I KNOW I am doing it just to be a dick and annoy the person. I actually could have pointed out the poor spelling skills of some of those  who came out in support of Mr. East in the Laurier quote post. But I didn't because there was more than enough stupidity to address. This is what I feel a lot of those who just have to use snopes to show someone how wrong they are remind me of.

Oops digressing again.

Damn. My train of thought got derailed. Snopes good but can be used for evil. Remember what Ben Parker said "With great power comes great responsibility." :)


No comments:

Post a Comment